Friday 31 May 2013

Wonderful stuff #3

May was an exciting month. We got a bit more sunshine as well as a bit of rain and it's getting warmer at long last, though the cold weather is still biting us all on the arse, but at least the sun has finally got his hat on (hip-hip-hoorah) and it may be a hot summer in the end.

Here's hoping.

Anyway, here's what I got up to...

Travelling

So, as I'm sure you've already seen, I went over to Scandinavia for about the millionth time, only this time, it was for the Eurovision Song Contest. I, like many other Eurovision nuts, stayed in Copenhagen before making the short trip over the bridge to Malmö, where the contest was held this year. And what a night it was! It had everything: light up wristbands, flags waving, hot singers, smiling doctors, weird disco falsetto vampires, men in kilts singing about free booze (it was actually stupidly expensive) and even topless drummers. It's going back over the Öresundsbron next year after Denmark won it on Swedish soil, just like they did in 2000, and I'll be back in Copenhagen (or wherever it's held) for Eurovision next year. I can't wait!

Remembering

2007 was a horrible year for me. I lost my wonderful brother, Paul, and I still miss him to this day. At the beginning of May, he would have turned 31, and I went to visit him to say hello and wish him a happy birthday before I went away. He may have been a massive Liverpool FC fan but that didn't stop him being a good man. He was only 24 when he died and he left behind two lovely children, my niece and nephew, and he'd have been a brilliant uncle to Sebastian. I still have a few of his things that I kept after his death, just so I know he's still around somewhere, and I have a few brilliant memories of the brother I loved so dearly. 

Celebrating

Whilst Everton's manager, David Moyes, left to join Manchester United as their new manager after Alex Ferguson's retirement and departure (and me having a good old sulk about it in the process), my second FC Copenhagen won the Danish Superliga for the tenth time of asking - and at the home of our nearest and not-so-dearest rivals as well. I went to the match the following week but we lost. Still, at least we won the league, so I can't really complain. Well, apart from said rivals (and horrible team) somehow managing to avoid relegation and going bust. Oh well, you can't win them all, can you?



Listening

Whilst everyone's been celebrating Denmark's win at Eurovision (see above), I've been listening to other songs from the contest. I HAVE listened to Emmelie's album but I've mostly been playing the Maltese entry over and over again. Gianluca was rather sweet on the night and he finished in a respectable eighth place so there's no complaining about that but the only thing that could have made it cuter was that if the song had been sung by puppies and kittens. He was very smiley as well and was so adorable. Can we have more like him next year please?


Tweeting

May's highlights included the following:
  • The tweets about who'll take over as manager at Everton (see my last blog post) and everyone cheering when Mark Hughes was named as manager of Stoke City. At least he's not coming to Goodison.
  • The Rooneys' new baby name.
  • Malmö having a restaurant called Bastard. Yes, I really did laugh!
  • shouldireadthedailymail.com. No, you really shouldn't.
  • Myself and a friend tweeting about a Swedish guy dying after having sex with a hornet's net - only for me to then find out it was all a hoax.
  • Hearing people having fun pronouncing Robin Stjernberg's name. Stern-berg? Qwern-berr? St-yern-berg? (It's more the middle one for those who don't speak Swedish.)
  • Zlatan! Need I say more?
  • My friend's tweet about Serbia's Eurovision act, Moje 3, winning the Barbara Dex award for coming dressed as a real life game of Candy Crush.
And finally, my tweets of the month go to...

And that's about it. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment